View Single Post
Old 02-23-20, 07:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 4,001 Times in 2,670 Posts
For really short rides I don't eat in the morning but if I plan on being out for over an hour or are doing some hard efforts I will certainly try and put something down. You might try a fruit smoothie with whatever fruits you like, kale, almonds and water (or coconut water). That is sometimes easier to get down in the morning. I would also make sure to drink plenty of fluids the night before and try and get some down in the morning as well (which the smoothie could take care of).

I also highly recommend using something like Nuun or Camelbak Elixir tablets in your water as water doesn't replenish all you need. The typical gatorade type stuff contains a lot of sugar which you may or may not want. Good for quick energy but not great for sustained energy. If you are good about cleaning bottles then coconut water is excellent or you can get Cocohydro which is quite delicious and good for you. Coconut water is my go to hydrator when I can.

Pretty much every ride I do aside from maybe commuting I will take some sort of power food with me typically a Isotonic energy gel (SIS) and something more solid which is sometimes just Clif, Probar or Floyd's of Leadville chews and other times is something a bit more substantial like a Clif Bar and even on some occasions I have made roasted potatoes which were absolutely delicious you just want something small and easy to put down and potatoes are great for that. Real food can sometimes be nice on a longer ride. I think in your case having something with you is important and also being mindful of having a sip of your electrolyte enhanced water frequently.

Or you can go the Michael Scott method and down a full thing of rich pasta before your ride and don't drink any water because Rabies makes you afraid of water...LOL
Likes For veganbikes: