Old 05-06-20, 12:59 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Listen on! Listen on! This is the truth of it. Biking leads to more biking, and more biking leads to building, and that can damn near be the death of us all. Look at us now, busted up and everyone's talking about hard rain! But we've learned! By the dust of 'em all, IM Nation's learned. Now when men get to biking, it happens here, and it finishes here! Bike parts enter, IM bikes leave. And right now, I've got good parts. Good parts with a gut full of potential. Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, wheel building time's here!

Better late than never on this wheel build. I got the first one done then things got in the way. Finally got the other one done today waiting on a freight shipment.

As for a "How To" on wheelbuilding, It something you just have to do. I can offer some tips:
Do your homework first. Find yourself a good spoke calculator and get the measurements correct. I use EDD spoke calculator. It has lots of rims/hubs in it's database and hasn't let me down yet.
https://leonard.io/edd/
I use Sheldon Brown's Wheelbuilding site for the other info. There are plenty of good sites/spoke calculators. Find one that works for you.
https://www.google.com/search?client...+wheelbuilding

Set up your workplace with some grease on something disposable. You can grab a spoke with one hand, dab the threads in the grease and run a nipple on with the other hand. This spreads the grease and verifies the threads are good. Roll the nipple back off then do your thing. At some point in the process, you will have to drop your nipple into the hole then insert the spoke into the end. Use something like a finish nail or a needle to act as a cannula and drop the nipples into the holes. Make sure you get the leader spoke on the non drive side in the correct hub hole. If you don't, you'll nearly have the wheel finished when this mistake rears it's ugly head. You'll have to backtrack and do some extra work to correct the problem. That's about it. Now let me think about some wheel truing tips.

Last edited by seypat; 05-06-20 at 01:25 PM.