Thread: Addiction LXXX
View Single Post
Old 10-25-20, 05:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10445 Post(s)
Liked 11,929 Times in 6,105 Posts
Did a climb I probably haven't done this last decade. Still the same - about 4 miles of redwood-shaded grind, about 1600 feet. Since I haven't ridden it in 10 years, I took it easy, so I didn't have to worry about blowing up. I remembered it pretty well - knew where various landmarks would pop up.

From the top, I turned left and headed down the spine of the Santa Cruz Mountains a couple miles. At first, climbing another 270 feet before dropping 1100 feet to the crossroads of the descent off ridge. I'd forgotten just how steep and long that descent is, and it's been so dry down here I hadn't figured on the road being wet, which it was in spots. So I discovered the problem with not having done a lot of serious climbing for a good 10 years - I've forgotten how to descend smoothly. I was going WAY slower than I know I could, burning up the brakes, literally yelling at myself to relax and let go of the brakes as I turned.

I used to LOVE that descent! Today, I couldn't wait for it to end. MAN! I need more practice!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles