Old 04-15-21, 10:45 PM
reelfishin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
New old stock Schwinn Letour wheelset value?

A buddy just gave me his old Schwinn Super Letour, circa 1979. I have everything but the wheelset. No clue what happened to the original wheels but the bike is near mint.
My question is, what should I expect to pay for a set of original wheels for it?
I watched a few used sets in so-so shape go off on fleabay for $110 to $140 recently, there's a set of nutted hub wheels that would work off a Traveler on CL in NJ,
The local bike shop told me to junk it and nothing is available for it, another shop said new wheels will be $250 plus, another shop said I'd have to convert to 700C.
If 700c is the only option, I'll let it hang on the wall till I find some used wheels. I have new tires and tubes for it here, which I bought for a bike I sold a few years ago.

The used set of Traveler wheels are $60. A bike shop has a new old stock set for $150, but its an hour ride each way.
I had figured maybe $80 to $100 for a new set of wheels for it. There's a shop out west that has just the rims, and I have a used set of hubs but when I priced spokes, they wanted $2 per spoke for even straight gauge stainless spokes and they'd have to be cut and threaded to what ever size I needed.