Old 04-25-21, 10:24 AM
reelfishin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The Schwinn had four numbers on the headbadge, 1399, and it had 9E00122 under the crank across the bottom. It was chrome with red outline decals.
There was a Made in Japan decal on the seat post and a Schwinn xtra lite decal right above.
A few things that got me about that bike was that it still used the smaller 7/8" stem diameter, like a Varsity, the S stem was necked down where it went into the steer tube. It makes the stem useless on most other bikes. The headset was also sort of cheap, it more resembled the headset on a Huffy than an older Schwinn. A big chunky top nut with a rough knurled cone nut below it. It did not have the typical smooth chrome headset like you would find on a Varsity. It stood out so much to me that I even went online to see if they were all like that and they indeed were made that way.

Here's a quick pic of the SGP, the wheels that came with it are still in the truck, these wheels are off my buddy's SC. (He swapped out his wheels day one, these are never used 1977 SC wheels and tires). I have the new old stock calipers, cables, levers, crankset, bb, and freewheel for it in the truck, he was setting it up with all Shimano 600 which he'll now use on the Schwinn. There's a handful of doubles too, a couple extra Cyclone derailleurs, both long and short cage, several freewheels, besides the original, and a new pair of Michelin tires as well as the original Raleigh scripted skinwalls that are on the large flange hub wheelset that belongs on this. If I found another frameset, I've probably got enough parts to build a second SGP or SC.