Thread: Today I (v2):
View Single Post
Old 05-07-15, 09:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4359 Post(s)
Liked 3,999 Times in 2,668 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
How can you even round off the flats on a pedal axle ? I mean, really ? I've never ever ever seen that happen, and I've removed dozens of pedals of all types over the past 40 years. Did you use a proper pedal wrench ? Did you use the correct end of the wrench ? Some pedals are metric 15mm rather than the more normal 9/16". Even if the threads were seized, you should have been able to break it loose before rounding the flats on the pedal. The crankarm aluminum threads will strip out before the steel axle on the pedal gives way.
They had gotten rounded before I got my pedal wrench around it. The wrench was a Park Tool PW-4, a tool I use quite a bit. We also tried other wrenches and ended up with vise grips before power tools.

I have removed a lot of pedals as well, maybe not quite as many as you but then again I haven't been doing this for 40 years so I have some catch-up to do ; )