Old 06-30-19, 02:48 PM
obuckler
“Senior” Member

Bikes: 71 Lygie—72 Raleigh Grand Prix—76 Raleigh Super Course—76 Bruce Gordon—74 Raleigh International(2)—2005 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
I’m feeling better about the stem as it mics to 26.4 every angle. No confidence in bars because of that impression mark and that it mics different left to right — think it’s experienced too much stress.

The last question for the advisors: using a shim for 26.0 new giro bar (it’s an Never installed bar) to my ancient 26.4 stem. I read pro and con advices on other forums. Even read a Sapporo 22oz beer can give you a 0.2 shim so you could bridge the gap in one layer. Others say never shim. Thoughts?

But a cosmetic downside to using old stem is I polished it out since the original ano was all scratched up. So the new bar is milky silver ano (not near as pretty as the original “pearly silver” of the original components) against a shiny stem. The artist in me wants to just spring for a new stem for a better matched look. Then I wonder if getting the never installed bar to match a new cinelli 1a stem well is still a crap shoot as there may be variances in the ano styles?