View Single Post
Old 10-28-19, 04:20 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
In addition to Enduro, I sent a note to BBinfinite asking about their stuff because they market themselves as super low drag. I asked spefically about comparisons to NTC and SKF as well as about their seals because, as @WizardOfBoz noted, seals are the main cause of drag. Below is their response:

If you want to ride slowly, get some NTN’s or **** or SKF bearings. These bearings are not made for human performance, they are designed for electric motors.

This strange idea that industrial bearings must be better is silly and misguided. These bearings come overfilled with grease, with inappropriate grease, and use seals that are in aggressive contact with rotating assemblies, hence, the terrible performance for you. What’s good for an electric motor is not good for you. The purpose of you bike is to allow you to be as fast as you can be, yes? Or no?

If no, but some NTN’s.

If yes, but these 6806’s:

https://www.bbinfinite.com/products/...crank-setspair

They have a lifetime bearing exchange warranty because we know they last.
So in follow up to the response I got from BBInfinite, I expressed surprise at their response, noting that lots of bike industry people recommend NTN and SKF bearings, then I asked again what kid of seals they use to get such low resistance bearings. I got the following response (I seem to be annoying them).

We make our own bearings to our own specs to make the user as fast as possible. We cater to people who understand the nature of the sport, it’s purpose, and why we all do it. There are people who want to be perceived as the smartest, and then there are the ones who want to be the fastest. The fastest guy wins a bike race. That is what you need to understand. Or not. Some do. Some never will.