View Single Post
Old 10-28-19, 05:46 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
Uh.... wasn’t Jobst Brandt the one who thought spokes act like pillars in compression when under load?
No.
Originally Posted by smashndash
And wrote a book saying that? He said that the wheel load was carried by the bottom few spokes. I’m 99.9% sure that’s a load of bull because there exist spokes that are literally string. Considering that wheel science was what he was most known for, I would say no, not everything he did stood up to critical review.
I don't know if you never read the book, or just didn't understand it, but your characterization is incorrect. Brandt explained that starting with an evenly tensioned, true wheel without any load, when loaded, the deformation occurs across the bottom of the wheel reducing the tension on the lower spokes in the deformation zone leaving the remainder of the spokes virtually unaffected. Given that, it would not be incorrect to say that the lower spokes carry the load. In any event, right or wrong (though he certainly is right), he detailed his reasoning clearly and completely so it could be understood and challenged. If you want to relive the 90's you can search for the endless threads where this was debated. Having lived through it the first time, I see no need to go through it again.
Likes For asgelle: