Old 02-25-21, 09:15 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Time still has a solid following (myself included) who are obsessed with the ATAC offroad platform. They crapped the bed with their road offerings around the turn of the century. Their time has passed on that market.

SRAM - has always been a company of acquisition. This is nothing new. There was a time they did seem to just waste their money in acquisition to shelve a competitor. I haven't seen them do that in a long time. Every acquisition since they had to pull back from their IPO seems to have been led by a thirst to own the IP. Meyer at Quarq is a visionary. One of the few real ones that I have seen in the cycling industry that also has the power to make marketable products.

The general consensus in the industry is that SRAM purchased PowerTap for the pedals. Time is a proven pedal platform to build off of. Not like they could build on Shimano. Garmin built on Exustar after they had a falling out with Speedplay and ended up with Look. Wahoo bought speedplay seemingly to build off that power pedal idea that Garmin laid the groundwork on with them. All "roads" in power seem to be converging on pedals for some asinine reason. IIRC Powertap was/is Exustar.

Don't forget SRAM is mainly an offroad company. Time has one of the best and most loved offroad pedal systems in the world outside of SPD. Crank brothers has more market share but they also have way more ancillary products than Time did. Time had bikes.....they sold that division off on its own to make way for the SRAM acquisition it looks like. There's some ties within SRAM and Tony Karklins - the guy who bought the Time Bicycle frame business.

Kinda sucks - it's this weird Chicago/Arkansas connection with a lot of people I have been around, who are nice to me, but keep me at arms length. As such I will continue to post stuff like this (I know you're reading this). I tend not to talk smack about good friends but hard to be good friends when you're on the outside.