Old 06-21-19, 02:10 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, trying to fill a tire without cracking open the valve. Like, at least once a week.

Lessee, other dumb stuff... oh, yeah, recently crosschained big ring and biggest cog. Fortunately I'd cut the chain just long enough to handle it without ripping the derailleur off. Usually I triple check that stuff before riding but not that day. I'd just cut a new chain and only matched the length of the previous chain without actually testing on the bike stand before riding.

Back in the 1970s or early '80s, when I was young and dumb instead of old and dumb, I degreased my hubs and replaced them with just WD40 before a 75 mile ride that included a 50 mph downhill. Afterward I was sure the hubs would show signs of overheating but nope, they were fine. Got away with it that once. Never tried oil instead of grease in hubs again.

Drafted a truck in Mexico, up to 50 mph. Got away with it. That time. Never again.

Before another 250 mile ride, overhauled the perfectly good bottom bracket, hubs, etc., which didn't need any attention. Stayed up too late wasting time and energy on that mess, instead of sleeping. Was so exhausted I hardly remember the actual ride.

Turned to offer a friendly reply to a fellow sitting on a bench alongside the MUP. Didn't notice the paved path forking. Clipped the ledge of the pavement. Cracked some ribs. I can never seem to remember it never pays to be friendly to strangers in public, so I keep doing it anyway. Minus the cracked ribs.

Seriously, the good experiences cycling far surpass the handful of kerfluffles, even the getting-hit-by-a-car stuff.