Old 07-12-20, 08:11 PM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
For me, the vast majority of drivers have been kind, aware, and courteous. And that group of redneck harassers is sort of a fixed percentage of anti-social sad sacks. Part of me wants to stoop to using the word 'Karen,' but I should try harder (and that's overly sexist): I've seen a noticeable mushrooming of uncaring, careless drivers. And that scares me.

genejockey - I am also noticing that many newer riders don't seem minimally capable of - wait for it - steering a bike! I ... I don't even. How can one not steer? How is it even possible? I don't mean "they're shaky on descents," I mean they are going 8mph on a MUP and can. not. keep. in. their. lane.

I'm super happy to see people pick up the activity, and we all have to learn, so I work with it. I'm just basically shocked.

I've had a few tough spills on a bike (blowout on a 30mph descent; hit by an old lady rolling through a stop sign; stroller pushed in front of me at 28mph forcing me into a ditch), but somehow these days I feel much less safe on the country roads that used to feel like home.