Old 04-14-21, 12:58 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I used to feel that way, back when I worked in a bike shop. But now that I'm 65 years old with arthritis in both hands (perhaps a result of years of wrestling stubborn tires onto rims with my bare hands?), assistive devices can be necessary, and a bead jack is the safest device with which to mount a stubborn tire.
I have all kinds of rim and tire combinations, including the dreaded Matrix rims and some overfilled with rim tape as well as new studded tires. The most challenging I found the small 16" wheels and yes for these I have studded tires too. The short circumference gives you less wiggle room than long. In each case, though, the patience and thought can win the day - I do not recall a combination that could not be mounted with bare hands only. Still, for shortcuts, to make it quick, I have a selection of tools, see below, and these are only those for the last step of mounting and not even all that I have are shown, just the more interesting ones.