View Single Post
Old 08-28-16, 04:34 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by absoludicrous
The next thing that has piqued my interest is what bike to ride in the winter. Based off what I've read here I'm less inclined to ride my warm-season drop bar bike, and more inclined to think a cheap old hard-tail mountain bike or all-terrain bike might be the way to go.

Is it pretty much an "anything'll do" sort of deal or are there recommendations for capable winter bikes? Flat-bar better suited than drop?
I'm in Madison. My dedicated winter bike is an old steel MTB without suspension. It was kind of a cast-off in the first place, so I'm not going to be heartbroken if some of the parts eventually dissolve and have to replaced by more winter-compatible parts such as IGH or even single speed. All of my bikes have upright handlebars, this one included.

This winter I got bar mitts for Xmas, and they look dorky but really work great.

Last time I rode without studded tires during the winter, I fell on black ice and broke a rib. They plow, but don't salt, the bike paths in Madison. So the paths are generally passable but can be slippery.

One reason for a dedicated winter bike is to keep road salt off of your nice bikes. I coat any exposed steel parts with chainsaw bar oil, which is super sticky. I keep some in a tin can, and apply it with a little brush.