Old 06-11-20, 05:11 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by montanasoftware
Hi:

I know it can be frustrating to recommend a bike to a new person who doesn't know much about MTBs, but I'm looking to get a decent MTB for about $2000.00 or so. I could possibly be talked into spending more. Unfortunately, I haven't done much mountain biking ... I've been mostly a road guy. Here are some things I can say about how I want to ride:

- I'm interested in bikepacking and dirt road/ singletrack touring.
- I want to ride the Grand Divide Mountain Bike Route ... from Banff, Canada to the Mexican border. Mostly dirt & gravel roads with some singletrack.
- I love steel and hate aluminum. Ideally, I'd like a Reynolds 853 or equivalent like OX air hardening.
- I care more about the frame than the components
- I understand road geometry, but MTB geometry seems more complicated. I definitely want a laid-back seat tube angle. I can't seem to find one less than 73. I would prefer 72.
- I'm interested in Ti, but I've never ridden it.
- I think a hardtail would be fine, as I don't intend to get into really serious technical challenges on singletrack.
- I used to be a bike mechanic, so I like the idea of buying a used bike and doing some repairs if necessary. I think you get a better bike for your budget that way ... I just don't know what to look for.

Any recommendations? Thanks in advance for your help.
Also it's rare to find mtb frames with such a seat tube geo. Todays longer top tubes and short stays with larger tires necessitates the steeper seat tube. Though the slacker headtubes will make it feel more laid back and keep the wheelbase wide. Good luck