View Single Post
Old 07-23-20, 06:34 AM
mark d

Bikes: panasonic 1987 dx-5000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
finished my ride monday. just getting back to my laptop now. had such a good time i considered going on to pittsburgh. weather was perfect. no rain.

day one: swains lock. i was relaxing in the river thinking no need to continue on. this spot is perfect. then came the pit viper. slithering across the water towards me. actually might have been a harmless water snake but i did not stick around to debate the point

day two: brunswick. flat tire (broken ribbon). glued in a piece of plastic to cover rim. got hammered at the smokehouse microbrewery. best ipa ever. did not feel like pedaling to the next campground hammered so i looked for and found a small trail to the river. beautiful spot. i mean oh my god beautiful. made camp. next morning i decided to stay a day or two in this spot. then came the hispanic family. sorry to lose my privacy but they were very nice people. the wife made me cafe con leche. delicious. started to settle in for a relaxful day, then came the rest of the family. all 18 of em....with chainsaw. yep chainsaw. i moved on

day 3: williamsport. got hammered at the co bar and the third base bar. consumed the worlds best calzone at the ...can't remember but it was great. stealth camped because once again did not feel like pedaling on hammered but next ,morning i found the campground about 200 mts down the trail from my spot, oh well

day 4: mile 140: decided to not get hammered any more. behaved myself. washed my clothes in the river. they needed it. relaxed in the river. locals told me about an air conditioned spot on the trail just before mile 140. they said you will feel the temp drop, then shortly down the trail there is a small trail to the right. this goes to the cave. i found the trail and it was much cooler in this area. i debated sleeping in/near the cave as it was about 150 degrees out, but i could see no water source

day 5: arrived cumberland. got a room at the cumberland inn. dinner and ipa's at uncle jacks. bought the t shirt at the bike shop. selfie at the 184.4 obelisk

day 6: went to the train station beautiful building. found out it does not function with amtrak and some nice meth heads gave me directions to the amtrak station. found it. had the charm of a bus station. no human works there. phone number posted to call for ticket. nobody answered the phone of course. impossible to buy tk at that moment. my mother tried to get tk via her computer and phone. no dice. my sister came and got me

things i did wrong:
1. racing seat. oh my god did my butt hurt. i'm talking i need a morphine drip butt hurt. bought a padded seat cover thing in hancock. saved my life.
2. road bike with 25 mm wheels. i had no problem but it was a dry period. i could see the remnants of giant puddles as i got closer to cumberland. could have been tough. i knew this before i left but i rode what i had
3. got hammered a bit too much

things done right:
using the bike forum resource. great bunch of guys here....thks