View Single Post
Old 07-25-20, 04:56 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeLite
I permanently damaged my crank bros multitool using the 8mm allen to remove an overtightened pedal..should have used an L type allen wrench.
That is a bummer.

When I travel with my S&S bike or my folding bike, I have to remove the crank arms (square taper) to pack the bike in the S&S case. That takes an 8mm allen wrench, but the 8mm crank arm bolts take enough torque that I carry a good enough wrench that won't break.

I mentioned above my S&S wrench, that also has an 8mm box wrench built in. I cut off about an inch of an 8mm allen wrench, I can use the S&S wrench to grip that short stub of allen wrench on my crank arm bolts. That 8mm stub of allen wrench is taped to my S&S wrench on the far left in the photo. I also use the 15mm open end wrench on the S&S wrench on the crank puller which is also in the photo, just to the right of the S&S wrench.

It takes some serious thinking to figure out the most compact and light weight, yet useful took kit for bike touring.

To pack the bike in an S&S case, I even have to take the water bottle cages off. Assembling and disassembling the bike is complicated and time consuming enough that I bring some shop sized tools along too. The side cutter in the photo is mainly used to cut zip ties.