Old 03-29-20, 10:39 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
I still really like old school Campagnolo Record side pulls. I think they have better control than modern dual pivots. If the goal is to get down a descent as fast as possible, I suspect they'd hold their own if not beat modern brakes on a timed descent. Dual pivots IMO have too much MA, which makes them self modulate whenever you hit some roughness through the apex, which means you have to slow it down a bit to compensate. Perhaps the psychological edge of being able to late break with little hand effort makes up for this. I don't know. Also without ridiculous MA you can actually get a wheel in and out without needing to readjust your brakes.

Old school MAFAC centerpulls have plenty of power even compared to modern brakes, if that's your thing. Subjectively lots of brake power for not too much hand squeeze. And BTW, they worked just fine with the original pads BITD. The original pads worked about exactly as well as the modern Kool Stop blacks and felt very similar. Obviously after 50 years, any original rubber pads are useless.

These days, I've gained a new appreciation for Weinman/Dia-Compe/Gran-compe centerpulls. If set up well, the ease of braking is closer to MAFAC than to say Campy record, but the modulation and control is closer to Campy.

With any vintage brake it's important to use 'vintage' technique. Braking with one or two fingers from the hoods is not going to cut it. Get in the drops. That's how it was done and it's still the best way. Technique matters.
Likes For Salamandrine: