Old 04-08-20, 12:00 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Here I put a rack on the brake. This is the second one I made, out of the other brake in the set, for my friend's bike. This is the Gran Compe ENE Ciclo rack. It is in the same vein as those TA racks for MAFAC brakes. I am really not impressed with its construction, to the point that I regret buying one, but my friend with the Vitus has been complaining he can't carry his Berthoud bag, and this rack is all I have, so it goes on the bike for now. It is comically small underneath a full size randonneuring handlebar bag, but hopefully supports the thing ok. I only had to bend it a little to make it work. Note I am running out of hardware!! Those are nuts from V-brake pads.

The thing I dislike most about this setup is the upper mounting tang from the rack that gets sandwiched between the brake and the fork crown. This just makes the whole mounting more smushy. Having that horseshoe plate right up against the fork crown gave it some solidity, which with this system it now does not have. Under normal circumstances, I would braze the upper mounting tang to the brake bolt and cut off the excess, but these are not normal circumstances, it is not my bike (I will suffer through the quarantine with a Cannondale seat pack), and I would like to keep this reversible, with the hope of eventually tig welding a rack of a decent size out of stainless tube and selling off this rack to someone who might actually like it!