View Single Post
Old 04-28-20, 07:21 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisAlbertson
You will be disappointed to find how little there is to learn. The freewheel simply unscrews from the hub and you put a new one on. The trick might be getting the old one off if it has been on for 20+ years. It might take a lot of force. Just make 100% certain you are turning in the correct directin. It is easy to figure out which way, normal riding tightens it and the backpedaling direction will remove the freewheel.

I am sure that after the effort to remove it you will know to put grease on the threads so the next person to remove it will not have to work as hard as you did. Grease the threads well because that next person might be you.

My opinion is that the new freewheels are actually better than those 70's vintage Suntour and the like.
The trick to getting the old one off is, first of all, finding somebody who has the correct freewheel remover. Second, as Chris said, it's likely to take a LOT or torque to get it off:
If you have access to a sturdy bench vise the traditional way is to clamp your freewheel remover vertically in the vise, thread your freewheel onto the remover and use both hands on the wheel rim to twist it off. If you have a helper, use four hands.
If you don't have a vise, use an axle nut or quick release loosely to hold the freewheel remover in place. I have a 15" Crescent wrench that's never been used for anything else.