View Single Post
Old 04-08-13, 02:39 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ordered the titanium Vargo Triad. This will make for a very light stand/burner.

http://www.google.com/search?q=vargo...12%3B450%3B450

http://www.amazon.com/Vargo-Titanium...ds=vargo+triad

Also found a Vargo screw-top container on Amazon.

Might try plastic first, though. Brake fluid (among other things) comes in nice little 12oz cylindrical HDPE containers. Johnsen's seems to use a very nice, sturdy version of this container,

http://www.amazon.com/Johnsens-Brake...ns+brake+fluid

I know that plastic may seem inappropriate here to some people, and it did to me as well, for a time. The more I looked into it, though, the more viable the idea seemed. Made-for-gasoline containers sold in gas stations and hardware stores are typically made from HDPE. Metal gas cans seem to be going the way of the dinosaurs. So HDPE is a viable material.

Don't yet know about PET and PETE, but will look into those materials as well.

Quarts of oil also come in HDPE containers. Lighter fluid. Charcoal lighter fluids. Various solvents. White gas....

What about the strength, the ability to hold pressure? They are all pretty sturdy. They can certainly take some pressure (look at the Airzound). And it isn't as though they need to hold 120 psi. Will test their strength, and use at pressures below 50% of capacity. Probably won't even need to go close to 50%.

Shape? Many containers are more or less rectangular in cross section.

Better if they are round in cross section. This shape would come up to pressure faster, with less distortion and stress.

The brake fluid containers, and others with similar shapes, look good. And they come in various sizes, both larger and smaller than 12oz.

Will drill a hole in the cap, a bit smaller in diameter than Presta valve. Will then thread Presta into hole, using a gasoline-resistant Permatex gasket sealant to make a gasoline-tight seal. The cap can be transferred to different bottles and sizes.

Will put a nut on both sides when installing Presta, and seal with the Permatex sealant.

So that's an ultralight burner plus an ultralight, pump-free fuel reservoir.

Now for the rest.

Thinking of checking for small-diameter titanium tubing, maybe from the world of RC hobbyists. Will look for small in-line valve from them as well.

Maybe use three inches or so of small-diameter brass tubing for the generator tube/pre-heater.

For the fuel jet and fuel-air mixing or carburation, I'm not sure. Maybe cannibalize an old WhisperLite. Any ideas?

(I also wonder if there might be a lighter alternative. The WhisperLite parts could probably be kept pretty minimal and light, though. But maybe there are jets available somewhere that are lighter and smaller, maybe even ti.... Maybe just screw it directly into the (bendable) brass tubing of the generator tube.... Or tap a small nipple for the purpose.... Maybe just drill the small hole to form the jet myself....)

This may end up being one of the lightest gas-burning stoves going. Maybe even the lightest.

[For the moms and the nannies and the proctors out there, and others with similar leanings: this thread is more for the innovation/creation/design-oriented types -- the designers, innovators, and test pilots. If you feel a need to exercise your inclinations to advise, and attempts to prohibit or dissuade, please do it on your own thread. This one is for the creative-development inclinations or mindsets. Thanks. Not saying your inclinations have no value, just that this particular thread is intended for creative development and brainstorming ideas. Which also have their place in the world.]

Last edited by Niles H.; 04-08-13 at 02:47 PM.