Old 12-24-14, 05:48 PM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by irwin7638
I have used lightweight road bikes to tour over the past 40 years, I wouldn't recommend it, even with a steel bike and 25mm tires. It can be done, I've done it, but it's a more enjoyable experience with a heavier bike and larger tires. You will have fewer problems and be more comfortable. If you do use the road bike, I'd suggest a trailer. Keep the extra weight off the bike, it really wasn't designed for that.

Marc
I agree that wider tires can be nice on a tour, particularly over soft ground and in the rain, but I find riding a modern CF frame far more comfortable than the steel frames I own. This might just be a personal thing, but I find it far less tiring to ride my Cervelo RS than my Rambouillet. I enjoy them both, but given a choice it would be the Cervelo.

A CF cyclocross bike can fit wide tires and would be great for touring if the geometry was a bit more relaxed, but CF endurance type bikes now have relaxed geometries, clearance for 28mm tires and pretty low gearing (some have 12/32 cassettes) and they are great for light weight touring.

Last edited by nun; 12-24-14 at 05:53 PM.