Old 10-24-19, 06:00 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
˄˄˄˄
Originally Posted by Equinox
...This is my first crash in 17 years as a serious cyclist. I accepted that it was a dangerous sport, and I don't think I know a rider personally who hasn't crashed. I am a big fan of Zwift for the past 4 or 5 years, so I look forward to transitioning to that.

I'm going to have to ask myself a serious question; "Are the risks of road cycling something I want to accept anymore?"
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
...I'm not gonna stop riding because I made a mistake. I'm going to pay more attention. Those falls were lessons, your fall should be a lesson. You know what you did or didn't do to precipitate the event. In the future, make a conscious effort not to recreate that event.
My own experience:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
When I was hit from behind, it was on a wide, low-volume, well-lit residential road at about 9 PM in June, by a “distracted driver.” The route was so calm that I was not closely monitoring my rearward view.

In fact, though perhaps I could have ditched the bike, I’m glad I didn’t see it coming if I was going to get hit anyways
...My first recollection was the assemblage of first responders with their vehicles to put me on a board to the nearest Hospital, with vivid memories after that, including airlift to a major Medical Center, the six week Hospital stay, and three-month rehab until I returned to work.

...My main injury besides a few minor broken bones was a fractured sacrum. Weight bearing activities such as walking a distance and prolonged sitting are [still] uncomfortable, but fortunately sitting on the bike seat is OK, even for a few hours.

I also lost some upper thigh muscle due to a soft tissue injury and had a draining wound that made me dependent on someone to change my dressing until October [five months later]
"Do you really enjoy riding a bike?"

I describe my riding experience similarly, as a cycling lifestyle (of 40 years). I once listed as my credentials: a carbon fiber bike, year-round cycle-commuting, a cross-country tour, and a serious car-bike accident.
But don't cry for me, Argentina.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-24-19 at 06:17 AM. Reason: added photo