Old 11-05-19, 09:59 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
made it out to the campo area. started from the descanso hwy 79/8 fwy parking lot on the nw corner of the intersection.
lots of headwind up to guatay that wasn't in the forecast. down to pine valley and up to sunrise highway (s1). decision time...
left up sunrise highway to mt. laguna battling the (mostly) headwind up a 5-6.5% grade for 11 miles or drop down old hwy 80
to try and mitigate the winds somewhat? opted for the latter. actually had a tailwind on eastbound hwy 80 past the border patrol checkpoint
all the way to the pct crossing/boulder oaks campground. once over the little rise and down to the kitchen creek turnoff, it was a
staunch headwind. sucked it up for longer than i wanted and bailed out at the first opportunity-la posta rd. 5 (or so) glorious
tailwind miles with nearly zero traffic and then a right onto hwy 94 westbound where the (generally) tailwind good times continued for
another 7 or so miles. northbound on buckman springs rd. brought the good times to an end as it was a slog back to hwy 80.
a little respite from the wind uphill for a few miles, then easy times down to pine valley, up the 1.25 mile climb to guatay and back to the car.
a little over fifty miles. didn't see any other cyclists out. even with the winds, it was in the low/mid-70's and clear. pavement of note...
crappy shoulder (2.5 miles worth) on westbound hwy 80 from buckman springs intersection to border patrol checkpoint and the second part of the
descent into (closest half-mile to) pine valley from sunrise hwy was overly bumpy...which at 35+ mph, can present some problems. otherwise, pavement
was pretty good. supposedly, the ranchita area of san diego county is the windiest place in the county but for my money and in my experience, it's the campo area.

Last edited by diphthong; 11-05-19 at 10:04 PM.
Likes For diphthong: