View Single Post
Old 01-11-21, 07:58 AM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,025 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
I just traced this map all the way up to Buffalo and I have to say, despite my earlier knee-jerk reaction, this project looks freakin' amazing. I am really overwhelmed by it all, especially seeing how much if it is paved or gravel off-road.

I only hope that COVID and my health give me an opportunity to explore the sections I haven't already ridden, and ultimately, that I can piece together a week or two to ride the whole thing.
Really Cuomo just helped link together the existing trails that were already there and being worked on. I'd give more credit if he'd had more of the routes north of Albany made off-road, mostly it seems like they copped out so they could claim to have linked the state. The Albany to Schenectady section was old 26 years ago and the small section missing in Colonie has been missing just as long. I sat in on a planning meeting for the Clyde section that would link Rochester to Syracuse 10 years ago as they'd just finished the areas between Clyde and Newark through Lyons.
Having worked in shops along the Canal from the 90s till 10 years ago much of the East/West has been in existence and steadily extended for the last 30 years. Maybe some of the North/South lines were a result of Cuomo but I'm guessing most is just the continuation of plans that have long been in place and progressing. It's just under him the results are really starting to pay off.
Likes For Russ Roth: