Old 01-14-21, 06:16 PM
LaVieClaire86

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Let's move on, aye?

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Seamless wasnt a big deal in the 90s. It wasnt a big deal in the later 80s even. For example, Tange Infinity has proven through the years to be just as reliable as any seamless tubing with the same butting profile.
You are waxing poetically about what was cutting edge from 3 decades ago- as you mention, things have changed.
If you want a steel frame, cool. Have at it. All my road, gravel, and touring bikes are steel frames so I certainly wont talk you out of it. But mine are steel mostly because I like the aesthetic and ease of build since I build all my frames. I dont clutch to any misconceptions about steel being inherently more comfortable or better performing or whatever. All that is design- frame geometry and tubing choices are critical for any frame you buy whether its steel, carbon, aluminum, or titanium.
Go get yourself an old frame, but if you want it to ride like you remember then you better buy one that has the geometry and tube butting that the bike you remember had.
I'm sorry if I offended you in some way, so I'll change the wording [again]. Seamless tubing cost quite bit more than seamed in the 80s -- I know because I did the research in the 80s -- and, for me, the seamless mystery bike I tested in the 90s proved to handle better and was much more comfortable than any of the "exotics" I had ridden: especially my Al Cannondales.

To clarify, I'm looking for the name of an American seamless steel frame maker who was in business in the mid-90s. I'm not in the market for a new bike, so the fact that they are [apparently] far better than bikes that were made in the 90s is irrelevant, quite honestly. If this flies in the face of those of you who seem to think that one should spend a boat load of money on new steel, CF or Ti, perhaps this thread isn't your for you. Those of you who aren't offended by owning an old seamless steel bike with Shimano components on it are more than welcome to stay and have a bit of fun. This is my last post having anything to do with new bikes (regardless of composition).

Have a good one ~ LaVieClaire86