View Single Post
Old 11-01-16, 08:07 AM
alathIN

Bikes: Volagi Viaje (rando/gravel/tour), Cannondale Slice 4 (tri/TT), Motobecane Fantom PLUS X9 (plus tires MTB)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by M3guy
I am also interested in the Fantom 27.5+ with the X9 components, just wondering if you are still happy with your purchase and if anybody else on this forum has had any experience with this bike or the X7, would really like to hear your comments. You did not mention your height when going with the large frame, I'm 5-8" and the BD sizing chart says a 16" frame for my height, do you think they are pretty accurate on their sizing because that does seem a bit small to me?
I originally wanted the X7 but they were out in my size.
I'm really happy with the X9 group set. It feels like perhaps the equivalent of 105/Ultegra, has that "good group set" feel. Not sure whether there is a noticeable downgrade to X7 or not.
The X9 does have thru axles front and rear, which I am starting to see the point of for a MTB. They are obviously stronger than the standard QR setup.
I've also been told by people who know a lot better that the front suspension is a lot better on the X9 than the X7. No personal knowledge to back this up.

I wasn't sure about sizing either, and the chart had me borderline between two sizes. So I did the BD "sizing quiz" and sent it in. They recommended this size bike for me, which turned out to be correct. If you hunt around their web site you can find their size advice procedure. You measure your standover height and overall height, and answer a couple of questions and they email you back with a size recommendation. Process worked for me.

Still really happy with the bike. I've done some more challenging trails and really enjoying it. Had a couple of crashes, as expected for a MTB newb. Zero problems with the bike. About to convert it to tubeless (only needed the sealant and the valve stems; the tires and wheels are fully tubeless compatible).

PS, I am just a smidge short of 6'1"
Ask me how I know this so precisely - my employer's health plan has a BMI bonus and I thought I hit the target at 6-1. They counted me as 6 feet 0.7 inches, which meant I didn't quite make the discounted premium cutoff