View Single Post
Old 08-29-19, 09:39 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2740 Post(s)
Liked 974 Times in 797 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I broke a rear derailleur cable last winter while riding up a short , steep hill on the way home from the gym. Changing the cable was a only little bit more of a challenge than getting up the small section of 9-10% near the top. I had to walk it I also replaced it in a well equipped shop, but believe I could have done the job with the tools I carry on tours. I did find out that it isn't too hard if you remove a few parts. I used my "parking brake" velcro strap to hold the top of the brake lever where I could get at it, removed the face plate, and the black plastic covering which exposed the the working parts. I used a pair of needle nosed pliers, and a small awl to work the wrapped cable out. I've added a large paper clip to my tour tool box to act as a pick if needed. I've always carried spare brake and derailleur cables. My Leatherman type multi-tool has neeedle nose pliers, and a small phillips screw driver should be all that is needed. It also made it easy to clean the sand resulting from a crash out of the shifter.
Hi Doug btw
Ya, I'm pretty sure I used my awl to get it out too. It was a bunch of years ago so didn't remember the face plate stuff.
Because of the disc brakes on the troll, I've added a small, light set of needle nose pliers and a small screwdriver, so i figure i could deal with a finicky thing, but I'm hoping I notice and change cables when needed, and not in the rain and cold one day.