Old 02-17-21, 08:43 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by pastorbobnlnh
DD, while my tubular experience is not extensive, here's my two cents worth of advice:

Tape is easier and less messy. I've not had any issues with my taped tubulars.

I've not had any punctures when using Schwalbe One tubulars. While not as light and supple as the highest end tubulars, I feel they strike a nice balance between protection and performance.

Since riding tubulars I carry a can or two of Vittoria Pit Stop. While I've never had use Pit Stop on a tubular, my experience using it on a fast clincher tire and tube combo has been positive. The sealant did the job and has remained liquid for over a year.

Best of luck and happy riding with your tubulars.
Just the kind of feedback I am seeking; thank you. My main concerns are (1) tire stays on in use, and (2) finding a good middle ground between price and puncture-resistance. I'll take a look over on the Tubular sticky, too, see other recommendations. The stuff I have currently (two pairs - unused - of Gommitalias and a single pair of Conti Giros - also unused) have been hidden away aging nicely in the closet, but I'd like to try something modern.

I've wondered about using a sealant. The last time I did - coincidentally, on Oahu with a tubular - it was an absolute mess and I barely got home, the entire rear of the bike covered in Slime. Ugh - wouldn't like a repeat of that! So I'm gonna sit on the fence and have a think on that one...

DD