Old 06-14-20, 03:18 PM
Lost in NH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stripped thread in fork for disc brake mount?

I am sure everyone knows the definition of an expert. It appears I am becoming an expert on torque limits for disc brake mounting bolts. I just changed the pads for the first time on a new bike with Shimano BR-M447 disc brakes. I changed the pads with the wheels on the bike by removing the caliper mounting bolts. I had already finished the rear pads with no issues, but when I screwed in the top bolt on the front fork mount it kept turning when it should have become tight.

The top bolt is snug, not rotating freely, and the bottom bolt tightened properly. Together, the bolts are holding the caliper in place, with no Loctite. I just went for a seven mile ride with lots of hills and braking, and everything stayed in alignment. But I know I have a problem that needs to be addressed with more than just some blue Loctite.

The bolt appears to be fine, and the threads in the fork look good for as far as I can see. However, I twisted a Q-tip with acetone down the hole and it came out with one metal thread stuck to the bottom of the Q-tip. I am surprised if turns out I stripped the female threads rather than the bolt threads.

Comments? Has this ever happened to anyone else? I wanted to check this forum for thoughts and advice before I call my LBS, just so I'll be more prepared when I call them. Worst case, I'll take in my bike. Medium case, I'll ride with Loctite until fall and then take it in. I suspect my LBS will say bring it in now.