Thread: MUP Etiquette
View Single Post
Old 06-29-19, 06:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
On the other hand, when I was a new driver I didn't venture onto the highway until I had the confidence and skill to do so. When I learned how to drive I did so in school on a designated driving course under the tutelage of an expert. I didn't ask nor expect the rest of the drivers on the road to slow down and wait for me to learn.

When I ran I'd go to the track and there were sprinters and distance runners, and we all ran in harmony. The sprinters kept to the inner lanes and the distant (much slower) runners ran on the outside. We both manged to workout to our limits without hindering or interfering with the other's routine.

When I was in school and Timmy didn't do his homework my teachers didn't put the rest of the class on hold until he caught up. We went ahead and Timmy either stayed after school and worked overtime to catch up, or got left behind. That was our preparation for everything in life.

Being courteous is one thing, but be mindful you don't become the elitist you believe the other guy is. Its a bad idea to expect the world to slow down and wait for you. Especially when there are areas specifically designated for you to prepare before you join the faster group. I was taught to prepare and aspire to a higher challenges, not the other way around. What about you?
Those places are called MUPs. They are not roads. One of the multiple uses is teaching children to ride. Get on the road if you don't like it.