Old 08-07-19, 08:23 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
vallea1403, here's where you're going to have to make some decisions. You can watch the video that curbtender posted, and follow it to get the driver off your wheel. But you'll need an appropriate wrench and hex key. If there's anyone you know you can borrow these from, that would be great. If not, you can either buy tools, or go to the bike shop (they may not be an MTB shop, but they'll have the tools. I'm a tool geek, and I tend to buy very good tools that are extremely expensive. That said, you can get tools that will work for cheap at Harbor Freight or the dollar store. They won't be as "nice" or as long-lasting as Snap-On tools, but they'll be a tenth or twentieth the cost. Best, though, if you have a neighbor you could ask.

Curbtender sounds knowledgeable regarding these hubs, and the video shows how they work. If you can get the driver out and inspect the pawls (they are pawls, not "paws" as the guy in the video pronounces the word) and springs, you may be ok just re-installing the things. I don't know if such pawls are available as repair parts - anyone? If they're not online you might try emailing wethepeople bikes to see if they have any.

On the other hand, if the innards of the hub are mangled and the places you stick the springs and pawls are broken, I'm afraid you'll need a new (or used, check ebay) hub, or you could replace the wheel. Replacing a hub is a considerable skill set (you have to remove the spokes, reinstall them making sure to properly lace them together, and then tighten the spokes to get a sufficiently taut set of spokes, and a wheel that runs true. Do you have the patience for this? Also, these hubs seem darned expensive. So it may be cheaper to buy a new or used wheel. Ebay and the web will clue you in on what is available.
Last alternative: find a cheap bmx bike on Craig's list and swap the wheel out. Then sell the bmx frame.