View Single Post
Old 03-25-20, 04:00 PM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I thought of the Lemond route. They are rare around here, and don't go for less than $800. That is a lot for a bike that is 15 years old. It may be worth the money, but isn't entry level. But if I could find one in good shape for $500, heck yeah...
It would be "entry level" with respect to the price point he's considering in the other examples he offered. I picked up my Poprad for $550 with Ultegra shifters, derailleurs, brakes..with a triple crank on it. Love the bike..I have other "nicer" steel and titanium bikes, but I spend more time on the Poprad than any of them. Great all-rounder bike...road, gravel, or touring.

As for being pricey for a 15 year old bike..well..the way I viewed buying the three Lemonds I have..compare them(tubing, components, appearance, performance..) to new steel or titanium bikes, and the modest premium is actually a pretty good deal, in today's dollars. A 2007 Poprad listed for $1650 (in 2007 dollars). In 2019 dollars that would be $2000. New steel gravel bikes go for a good bit more than that from what I saw a couple years ago(when looking for a Poprad).

In any event..a Poprad is one option among many.

Good reference/comparison for steel gravel bikes:
https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...el-frames.html

Last edited by fishboat; 03-25-20 at 04:08 PM.