View Single Post
Old 03-16-20, 09:25 PM
reluctantsuburb

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
It was $350, so I didn't look at it very long. If you build up the Schwinn, you'll want an inexpensive batch of parts from a co-op or inexpensive donor bike. Find another Schwinn or other english-threaded '80s bike. Worry about other stuff (seatposts and bb's) after you aquire the majority of your parts (ie, donor).
Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...yeah. $350 is way too much money to spend on a donor bike. Look for something that has dry rotted tyres and needs a new chain and a lot of work. You're going to take it apart anyway, to do the transplants, so you do the mechanical work, cleaning, relubrication at the same time you do the swaps. It opens up a lot of bargains, because you no longer have to pay attention to the frame size of the bike you're using for parts.

I've done this with PX-10, an early Ironman, and a Motobecane Grand Record. It was the only way I could get those bikes in my preferred 24" frame size. For some reason, most of the American importers just imported and sold the 23" and the 25" frames on those two French bikes. The PX-10 frame came from a guy who bought it in Germany, and he rode it so much all the components were pretty well shot.
I get that $350 is too much, which is why I would like to low-ball offer something since it's been sitting. Honestly, though, I am probably drawn to that bike because it is the only dynamo hub I've seen in over a year of searching in Dallas.

When it comes to identifying the donor bike I do not have the knowledge on groupsets and other components to know what's worth salvaging. Thanks for the bikes already suggested, and if anything else makes sense, I'm all ears.

I still wonder if the Schwinn in question is too much of a road geometry for what I'm looking for?