Ald1 

Bikes: Domane SLR 9 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.3 1978 Mercian

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Dude, i refuse to argue.

First off, the general road rules used by most states (including the state where this happened) "Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway may not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. ... It is legal to leave the right side of the roadway and in doing so, impede other traffic under certain circumstances when passing." (Emphasis added.) Note please that "not More than two abreast" makes two abreast legal. So you need to rethink that argument in light of the facts.

Second ... Taking the lane is a useful tool, and I have been using it for decades, but it is not magic. You can get hit anywhere on any road.

You think whatever you want. I just pointed out that Facts gained through Experience have shown me that no matter where in the lane I ride, a driver of sufficient stupidity can still put me in danger.

You want to live in a world where the written law isn't true and no one can hit you if you take the lane? Cool. It is nothing to me. Go ahead, and may you be safe and happy, or have whatever outcome is supposed to come your way. I don't want to change your mind or change your fate.

However ... you got your facts wrong about riding two abreast, and i have seen in my own life that taking the lane doesn't stop drivers from passing or trying to pass.

I mean you no ill will, but I have been riding on the street for a long time and I have seen a lot. When I started, bike lanes didn't even exist as a concept---every road ride was done in traffic. So ... I will go with five decades of experience over the opinion of someone who didn't do his research.
Correct, and would not riding two abreast INSURE taking the lane??? and discourage impatient drivers from trying to squeeze by? thereby being even safer? I'm with you. I've cycled a lot and today when I need to turn left in a lot of cases and road conditions I'll stop, pull over to the right, look both ways and proceed across the road. Better safe than sorry.....