View Single Post
Old 10-17-19, 06:15 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
New old bike...

This was a brown Schwinn World Tourist, until a couple weeks ago. Then I was on a shopping trip, heard a "clunk," and one of my fork ends was broken clean off. While walking the bike home, I remembered that my son had just finished with this frame, and it was hanging on a hook in the garage. I asked him if I could have it.

So it's a 1987 Schwinn Sprint frame, with all of the parts from the brown bike. Everything fit, save for the seatpost, but the Sprint frame had a post. I decided to splurge on a new chainguard -- it was on the pile of spares at the LBS, and I gave them 5 bucks for it.

Hub is a 1962 Sturmey Archer AW, possibly from my mom's Schwinn Breeze. The wheels are my first satisfactory build, and are about 15 years old now, still true.

It rides like a dream. Gearing is perfect for that universal lazy cruising speed, 12 mph or so, and I use the bike for commuting, shopping, etc. The World Tourist was a bit too big for me, so this is an improvement. It's not a super lightweight frame, but I'm hanging a bunch of stuff on the bike anyway.

Likes For Gresp15C: