Old 11-19-19, 10:08 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
In my experience with lots of triples over the years the only "shifting issue" is the person setting up the FD. Just sayin'
Another reason for a 1X because even pros get chain drop. No FD, no front shifting issues and a narrow/wide ring is much better at holding a chain.

"Inner" chain rings are not symmetrical on higher end front ends. The FD is also a bit different. I believe this is done, because the manufactures think it works better. I think it works better (than a neutral middle).

Other issues can be bolt circle. A 110 BCD with 52T - small can get modern thin chains wedged in-between rings. Some designs prevent this.

You have to work at it to get a triple front with an 11 rear that does not nearly overlap in several gears. Our tandem had your pictured crankset with two big rings and a smaller (25T?) bailout gear. It did not shift nearly as well as the Dura-Ace 2X stuff, not even close. But for us, a 1X and 11spd on the rear is fine. We can adjust 5 RPM in cadence. I understand the need for low bail out gears, and for really high ones. I don't understand the need for 33, or even 22 across the range for much anything.