View Single Post
Old 11-20-19, 06:58 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2326 Post(s)
Liked 4,995 Times in 1,780 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
In my job job I've designed things I thought would be easy for users that users found not so easy. Of course an investment in more user training, or new designs can be a solution, but generally the more economical one is to remove the feature and simplify.

I believe a triple can be made to work very smoothly. I do not believe it can be as smooth as the best doubles with orientation, one shift direction (small ring chain always goes right), ramps and money that went into making them so good. The Dura-Ace rings have about 15 parts in them and a lot of R&D. But in the end, if a market does not have the skill to adjust derailleurs like @jamesdak , the market may choose the simpler option, over investing in a new skill. That and it is lighter and stiffer, and reduced Q factor (I don't care, but some do) not to have a triple.

I will admit that my best shifting triple and doubles are the ones running the Wickwerks Chainrings. Those babies are amazing.

https://wickwerks.com/technology/chainrings/