Old 02-23-20, 08:42 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
A second threadless stem won't fit with a shim? Might need two shims if the second stem was 1 1/8 inch, one inch steerer tube sized stems are pretty rare.
I might try that route when the bag comes. I hadn't thought of double shims but that might work.

Originally Posted by antimonysarah
Those accessory mounts that give you a second chunk of handlebar, but instead of turning it so it's forward-ish, angle it downwards? Then put the mount on that.

I'm not sure which of those are well-regarded; a quick search led me to endless amazon results for cheap crap ones (although it's a few chunks of aluminum, cheap crap might be fine). Just make sure it's the right handlebar diameter or comes with the right shims. I'd go with one of the double ones that grab the handlebar on both sides, even if you don't need that much bar space, because the bag is more weight than a GPS or light. But there's definitely tons of them out there that are pretty inexpensive, so you don't have to DIY.

(I am personally short enough that there isn't much difference, height-wise, between a hypothetical rack-mount bag and my existing handlebar bag; it just barely clears my fork-mounted headlight; if I had a front rack with an out-front light mount I could have a bag go perhaps an inch lower, but that's it. So I've never actually done this, but it seems like it wouldn't be hard.)
Thanks, don't know why I didn't look at those before. That's exactly the idea but I guess it depends on how much weight they can hold.

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I have had some annoying rides with other people because their handlebar bags kept slipping down. I like racks
Yes. That is one concern of mine too. The klickfix system seems to be widespread but I can't help but wonder what happens when I hit a big bump or something. I know they have a retaining wire too. The rack is preferred but I would still need to figure out how to attach the klickfix for easy removal. Maybe a DIY extension to the rack like decaleur mount for rando bags.

Bag should be here soon so I can see what I'm looking at as far as aesthetics anyway. On line they just seem to be cantilevered too high without support.