Old 02-25-20, 09:52 AM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
We were looking for a step-thru folder to convert to electric, and the only models I found were the Loop and the CItizen Barcelona. Wanted to do a rear motor, so picked the Loop because I would be tossing out the nice geared hub on the CItizen, Bought the Loop last year on ebay for $240. Boo om tariffs. This used to be a $200 bike,

My initial ride of the Loop last year didn't have it feeling too bad except for tiny brake levers and sloppy rim brakes. Installed a 250W motor on the rear, but it was a bit wide, so had to use a 6 speed freewheel out of spares bin, Electric bike brake levers were full size. Still using the 7 speed barrel shifter. My wife understands them better than trigger shifters. Top speed with motor only is about 20 mph, Replaced the 42T crank gear with a for a 52T from my parts bin. It barely clears the chain stays. Put on a softer seat.

The most effort was replacing the stock one piece steerer with a telescoping unit. That turned out to be too long, so I had to cut it, and put in new slots and relief holes. It's still too long, and I used a heavy steel handlebar from parts bin. I did a half mile test ride and while the electrics work fine, the steering is a lot twitchier than I remembered. I noted that the wheelbase appears 4-6" shorter than our Downtube folders.

I'll have to go back to the original steerer and see how that feels, This is only for sedate senior riding, so I'll have to make sure the local hills don't cause trouble,. I find it kind of nice for getting on/off. Last fall I dismounted my trusty Trek 830 and got my pants leg caught on the luggage rack. Would have been a embarrassing tumble.