Old 03-17-21, 09:53 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by jp911
My wife and I are moving to another state in May and I'm fretting a bit over trusting the movers with our bikes. Between the two of us we have 8 in total. Should they be boxed up as if we were shipping them and then loaded in the truck? Just ask the movers be careful and load them in without boxing them up? Or be really anal and rent a van or Uhaul trailer and move them myself?

Thanks for any experiences or opinions.
I’ve done it both ways. One time the movers spent a couple of days loading up the truck, I got on well with them, explained my concerns about the bike, and they essentially carved out a “save space” where nothing could fall on or shift against the bike, I strapped it upright to the wall of the truck. We met the truck at the other end and I extracted the bike in perfect shape. Other times we put the bikes on the car and transported them ourselves. Of course, one such time I managed to “garage door” the roof-mounted bike, so in fact I have inflicted more damage than any mover ever did 😟
with 8 bikes, if you have a hitch, a bike-dedicated U-haul trailer wouldn’t be a bad idea. Take as much time as you need to pack the bikes carefully so you know they’ll make the trip safely. Just don’t take your eyes off that trailer!