View Single Post
Old 03-24-21, 11:39 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I'm sorry, but that has a bit too much of the tiny speedo-on-the-middle-aged-European-male look for me.
That is an oddly specific reference, but while we're at it, I try to avoid the steel-toe-work-boots-on-a-tall-skinny-supermodel look myself. Color composition is complemented by visual mass composition, and that gets tricky with a 65cm frame and slender tubing. Along with preferring tires below 35mm for weight and responsiveness, keep tire sizes no larger, for me, helps keep a nice visual balance. The 620 now has a set of 6500 Ultegra hubs laced to satin silver Mavic CXP21 rims that gives a little more 'anchoring' to the visual composition. The MA2 wheels looked just fine here, IMO, but even better without fenders. The CXPs give a pretty complete look, and it's quite nice in person. Regardless, the 620 is a stunning rider, comporting itself with grace, poise, and pace, while also being more than willing to wind it up out of the saddle.

If you have a line on a continental-US-based 66cm Koga-Miyata Randonneur-Extra from the late '80s that's in good shape, I'm all ears. Otherwise, we're all stuck with my 620. That is, unless I find a newer Trek FX of the 7.3 to 7.5 varieties. The spirit of vintage touring bike geometry lives in it, and, since I've plotted the geo specs in CAD, it is perfect for a drop bar conversion (with a normal stem length). FX's have a reputation as being lively bikes, so if its aluminum ethos is the same that informed my '16 Emonda ALR, then I am all for it. 7.6 and above went disc, and I'm on the fence with that due to liking more compliant forks in general. It'd have to be mechanical because hydro is $$$ (been there, done that) and many hydraulic shift/brake lever designs aren't attractive to me. Anyway!...