Old 10-22-20, 11:41 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ
Thomas, Tell me how you integrated Zwift into your training? I'll be on a trainer this winter for the first time. I have cadence, speed and HRM for my bike computer so I'm sure I can get that data to an iPad too.
A couple things: Zwift works by power. It can do actually measured power from a powermeter on the bike or trainer, or it can estimate it based on a power curve for your trainer. You'll need to look on the Zwift page to see if your trainer works.

Also, iPads only read BT, so if your HRM and speed/cadence are in ANT+, you'll probably want to run it through a laptop with an ANT+ dongle. If you're set on using the iPad, there are workarounds.

As for working it into your training, some people do races on Zwift, some just ride around, and others do structured workouts. I signed up for a structured plan that has 4-5 workouts a week. A lot of these can be done outside when the weather is nice, but it's also great to just be able to hop on the trainer and do the work. And some of the workouts might have lots of power and cadence changes that make them easier to do on the trainer than on the road. The biggest thing for me is the structure. I like checking off boxes and having the next workout to look forward to.
Likes For caloso: