View Single Post
Old 02-01-19, 09:25 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,698 Times in 2,518 Posts
In 2011, they did a country quota based on the previous year's aggregate mileage. They might go back to that since the current system seems to limit French riders as much as anything. They want to encourage participation in all years, not just PBP years. They also really hate DNFs. So, I think a lottery that puts people that only ride in PBP years on an even footing with people who ride longer distances all the time is not going to happen. But since it's such a big deal in France, I'm sure they don't want to annoy the populace by having a batch of angry French randonneurs.

The current system is about as fair as it can get. The rules have been in place since summer of 2009, when they told the country organizations that PBP participation would be based on 2010 ride distances. It's just that people don't want to play by the rules. Four years is up really quickly, there is always another PBP. If it comes to the point where riding a 1000/1200k is required to get in, which I suppose is possible, they would have to go to a lottery. As of now, riders determine their own fate.

PBP was my first 1200k. I would say that was a mistake. It was a great experience and it's a great ride, but I should have ridden a domestic 1000k or 1200k first. I spent hours on the last day of PBP telling myself that people who ride 1200k's are idiots, I was an idiot to be there, I was never going to ride a 1200k again. But my personality defect is to continue doing something until I get it right. So I rode a domestic 1200k and I had a good time and everything I had done wrong on PBP came into focus for me. Now I realize the last day is always the most fun.

Last edited by unterhausen; 02-01-19 at 09:30 AM.