UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Are you riding a unicycle?

If so, I saw the photo of the unicycle below when I was in Iceland four years ago. I wandered off to get a few more photos and missed the chance to talk to the rider so I have no additional information, the photo is all the information that I have. But it may give you some ideas on how to set it up for touring.

It is a bit hard to see in the lighting and background, but it has a disc brake.
Indeed, a similar unicycle, so my first goal is to minimize what I bring.

There is an evolving norm of a touring rig that is sort of like that picture but with a fore and after pole to hang things on and a set of fenders supporting the lower side of the bags or at least preventing their wobble, but I'm trying not to go to that extreme. Had been thinking of doing a level rear rack to hold something of similar size to the stuff sack in that picture though maybe should consider tilting it down at an angle like that.

Have been trying to figure out how to make a solid clamp for attaching to the seat tube without access to a machine shop. The ones that hold our seatposts are not permanently attached to the frame, bought some spares but there's not much meat on them to drill into unless I figure out how to use the clamp screws themselves without defeating their clamping. Unfortunately they are a complex machined shape wheras I'd like the simpler union of a cylinder and a cube.

Of course what I'd really love to do would be weld up a fully custom frame...

One advantage the poll rig does have is that in an "oops" the force of the luggage hitting the ground is transmitted directly through its supports and not through a handle bar attached to the saddle. The pole itself can break but if chosen well that is easier to source. Keeping things narrow increases the chance of going around the bars and running to a stop rather than getting tangled up and stumbling.

The hope for the moment though is that by some strategic changes in what I'm hauling for a day ride and its train journey back home like replacing the heat tech pants that split that stuff sack with a polar fleece, I can get in the minimum essentials for a few motel room nights.

At least it gives me something to think about on the D&R towpath today...

Last edited by UniChris; 03-01-20 at 07:53 AM.