FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Nikon Fan
Thanks everyone! During that 3.5 mile ride I realized it was heavier than I expected! Something I had not considered were the tires; will I be able to find a replacement for them? The tires on it still have thread, however the sidewalls are cracked (possibly due to age). I have been checking online and no one seems to have them in stock. Not sure if I can mount newer/wider tires on these rims without affecting the distance between the tires and the fenders. I would like to get whitewall tires for it if possible.

On another note, I was able to find 3 more old Schwinn cruisers at a great price but in rough condition (they need a new paint job plus most parts are rusted). I have been thinking of restoring at least one of them; not to original specs, but upgraded into a nice custom cruiser (new rims, custom accessories, etc.). I'm hoping/assuming I can use the original frames with custom parts.
What size tires are on the bike now?

With the tires inflated up to max pressure shown on the sidewall, how much room is between each side of the tires and the fender braces? And how much distance is from the outer diameter of the tires to the fender itself (paying attention to rivets and screws protruding inside the fender)?

Maybe you can go up one tire size, and maybe you can't.