Old 06-02-19, 08:13 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by andythebird
i can see that some more information is needed here. i used to race on the road.
i trained around 20hrs a week. with 3 days with some intervals primerily zone 3 and 4 in the power zones.
my strong sight was short efforts- 20sec-1.30 min hills and stuff like that. i could produce around 850 watts standing average on 1min hills. i weight 72 kilos at the time. i retired back in 2016 but have now fallen for track cycling. and want to start racing again.
i have never trained for efforts like the kilo and shorter stuff. as that was never a problem when racing on the road.
so how should i precede?
Should i split it in to
-strenght
-Power
- Speed endurance?

or should i train more like a split routine? i can train up to 2sessions per day.
I don't want you to think that people are dismissing you or your question. It's simply a question that can't easily be answered.

The Kilo is a simple yet complex and brutal event. "Simple", meaning: "It's only 4 laps...how hard can it be?". "Complex" (see below). "Brutal", meaning: If you aren't questioning "Why the hell did I sign up for this bullsh*t event???!" after every kilo, you didn't ride it hard enough and you could have ridden faster, hahaha.

Believe it or not, I've seen roadies ride kilos then roll off the track like it was nothing. They didn't tap into their true maximum effort potential. They rode it sub-maximal. Learning how to tap into that maximal potential is a skill in and of itself.

If you are reasonably fit from the road riding/racing, then you can probably ride a pretty good kilo (close to your potential) already. Getting the rest of that speed out of you is your journey.

For conversation's sake, let's say that on any given day you can ride a 1:08 or 1:10-ish Kilo. But, your are capable of riding a 1:04 (a top-tier elite time in the USA. Not best, but only a few can do it.). That's "only 4-6 seconds", but, it may take a year of training, testing, and tweaking to get it.

- Maybe drop a road riding day and add a gym day.
- Maybe add more protein.
- Maybe 1 trip to a wind tunnel.
- Maybe a big change in gearing (larger or smaller).
- Maybe change how you ride it (head-on all you got until you die, float some in the middle, negative-split each lap).
- Maybe use a front disc...or not.
- Maybe motorpace more.

It's a journey, man. There is no magic bullet comment in a forum that will do it...if so, we would have copy-pasted it to you already