View Single Post
Old 07-05-20, 04:09 PM
avecReynolds531

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by eeuuugh
Judging by the top of the seat tube, the frame has been powdercoated. Looks to have been done well, given the crisp lug definition throughout, but it won't be possible to determine the correct seatpost size until the overspray inside the top of the seat tube has been cleaned out. The bottom bracket shell may need to be faced as well, and threads on the frame cleaned up.
Thanks for this, I wasn't sure if the paint is a powdercoat because the previous powdercoat finishes I've seen have been thick. I can read the classic Nervex bottom bracket script (it's a Ref. 3103A). Mostly, it was the lugs that made me question this: because they are well defined (up close, the lugs are really sharp and finely filed - lovely). Appreciate the advice regarding the overspray, facing the bottom bracket and cleaning the threads.

Sadly, I've no idea what the original paint was like, why the frame has been repainted, or even why wet paint was declined in favour of powdercoat. I would dearly love to start building up this frame but it does not look likely for some time yet.

76SLT, apologies - with regard to your frame number question, it's 1386 - stamped on the non drive of the bottom bracket, and again at the top of the fork steerer in vertically descending order.

On the subject of the mystery gear lever braze on, I've been fortunate to gain evidence that it is a dedicated Campagnolo braze on, and shown in the 1953 catalogue. This is via the Cycling UK forum & with much gratitude & thanks to the poster for the detective work (unfortunately the link to the 1953 Campagnolo catalgue doesn't seem to be working here in my post, yet is working when I access it from the UK forums):

'I have found the part as a dedicated braze-on fitting listed on p19 of the 1953 No.12 catalogue here; http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/...Catalog+12.pdf

Part No. 600/1 (with matching LH braze-on No. 611/1).'

It feels good that through a community of fellow cyclists, we can a solve a little piece of cycling history mystery!

Last edited by avecReynolds531; 07-09-20 at 03:36 AM. Reason: to include frame number and location