View Single Post
Old 06-24-19, 04:12 PM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
Sounds like you will love working on this bike. Enjoy.

Here's the first place that I saw the discussion of the crankset and wheel dish. It's a somewhat ingenious solution to the tire clearance issue, but over-engineered and more than I personally want to deal with for a long term bike ownership.

https://bikerumor.com/2019/06/20/can...ar-suspension/

"Proprietary Bottom Bracket

It also uses the Cannondale-specific BB30-83 AI which requires a specific crankset and a specific dish for the rear wheel (Cannondale offers three compatible cranksets, SRAM offers an option, and there are replacement spindle options as well). This bottom bracket design has been in use by Cannondale since 2014 and has been used on the Scalpel, F-Si, SuperX, and now the Topstone Carbon as it allows them to build a frame with super short chainstays while maintaining room for big tires and front derailleurs. Essentially, the bottom bracket uses a BB30 bottom bracket that is spaced at 83mm while the drivetrain gets moved out by 6mm. Thanks to the additional clearance provided, the Topstone actually has shorter chainstays than the SuperX by 4mm."
No, but I do like working on bikes in general and do my own maintenence on 6+ bikes all with various "standards". Replacing bearings on a BB30, BB30 Ai or PF30 etc are all the same technique. Building wheels, tensioning and truing all involve checking and adjusting dish whether is assymetric or not.