Old 07-23-19, 09:58 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Facing a new Surly Ogre (or any Surly bike) for BB and Headset area...

I have received conflicting opinions and would like to know for fact. I just ordered a Surly Ogre frameset and have all the components to build the bike I want. The only tools I really don't have is tools to face, tap, thread, etc... kind of thing. The shop I ordered the bike from said they would charge me $75 to face and thread the bottom bracket, and also face the area to install the headset. I spoke to a local shop who said they would do it for $40 bucks. I spoke to a Surly mechanic and he said that the bikes come prepped and ready to go out of the box and there is no real need to do that again. I spoke to Surly directly and they said that the local bike shop should do those things, but I am assuming that is the politically correct answer they will say not knowing folks skill level in general and pushing more work towards shops.

So I told the bike shop that I bought the frame from that I would pass on having them do it for $75 and just ship me the frame and headset I bought from the directly and I will have it done locally if it needs to be one at all for $40 instead.

After all that, I called another local bike shop and he said they just about hardly ever pull the tools out to face, tap, and thread anything anymore on stuff that comes directly from the manufacturers. He said they are typically all cleaned up in fabrication and ready to go.

What is the correct answer? When I get the new frame, do I "need" to have these things done to insure things are done correctly the first time right out of the box? Do most mechanics face and retap the bottom bracket when they first get their hands on a frame or is it standard to just go ahead with the build? I have a DIY way tool of putting on Crown Race and cups for headset, and have the correct tools for the Bottom Bracket. Will I be good to go when I receive the frame or is there anything else special I have to have done? The only other challenge I can think of that I don't have a tool for is the star nut in the headset, but RJ the Bike Guy on Youtube has some easy DIY tools for that so if I don't need them to redo that for some reason, then I can just go ahead with the build on the bike if I have everything else?

Thanks